There shall be no ragging in and outside the college or hostel and also on roads/approaches leading to the College/Hostels. If a candidate is found indulging in ragging directly or indirectly, the competent authority , after enquiry, if satisfied, shall expel the guilty students(s) from the College/Institution. Provided that an order or rustication or expulsion shall not be passed, unless the student has been given an opportunity to be heard in person and to explain his conduct in writing.
What Is Ragging?
"Any disorderly, whether by words spoken or written, or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student”. Thus, ragging includes:
Act of physical and sexual abuse, homosexual assault, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health.
Act of abuse by spoken words, emails, snail-mails, public insults, perverted pleasures, vicarious or sadistic feel from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to others
Exploiting the services of junior students for completing the academic tasks by the seniors.
Act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure.
Any act that affects the mental health and self confidence of students
Be it known to all that action shall be taken against those who are found indulging in ragging as per Recommendations of Raghavan Committee to Curb the Menace of Ragging Constituted By the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, which are as follows
1. The punishment to be meted out has to be exemplary and justifiably harsh to act as a deterrent against recurrence of such incidents.
2. Victim may lodge an FIR
3. The institution must be an active party to lodge an FIR.
4. Ragging Evidence: Act of ragging witnessed by teacher, non-teaching staff or administrative staff to be treated as final.
5. In case the applicant for admission is found to have indulged in ragging in the past or if it is noticed later that he has indulged in ragging, admission may be refused or he shall be expelled from the educational institution.
6. Anti-ragging committees and squads shall be formed by the institutions and it shall be the job of the committee or the squad, as the case may be, to see that the Committee’s recommendations, more particularly those noted above, are observed with out exception.